The pastor at a Dallas church appeared to throw a jab at Tim Tebow recently for reneging on a promise to speak to the congregation in April.

Tebow scheduled an appearance at the First Baptist Church in Dallas on April 28, but he cancelled the appearance last week because of "new information that has been brought to my attention." First Baptist, and specifically pastor Robert Jeffress, has been the center of some controversy recently.

On Feb. 21 Tebow sent out the following message in a series of tweets to his followers:

"While I was looking forward to sharing a message of hope and Christ’s unconditional love with the faithful members of the historic First Baptist Church of Dallas in April, due to new information that has been brought to my attention, I have decided to cancel my upcoming appearance. I will continue to use the platform God has blessed me with to bring Faith, Hope and Love to all those needing a brighter day. Thank you for all of your love and support. God Bless!"

In a sermon that was posted online and titled "Dr. Jeffress Responds to Tebow Controversy", Jeffress appears to take a swipe at Tebow for canceling his appearance. After thanking people who have stood by him amid the controversy, Jeffress goes for an indirect shot at Tebow.

"I am grateful for men of God like these who are willing to stand up and act like men rather than wimping out when it gets a little controversial and an inconvenient thing to stand for the truth," Jeffress said. "God bless men like that.

"There are some people who would say, 'God's given me a different ministry. God has called me to go preach about the love of God. I'm not called to preach about sin and controversial things. I've been called to talk about the love of God.' And they're sincere when they say that. But they are sincerely wrong. The fact is you cannot talk about the love of God. The love of God has no meaning whatsoever unless you understand the judgment of God that all of us deserve."

The full sermon can be seen here, and below is the section in which Jeffress appears to criticize Tebow.

Last April 15,000 people showed up to Celebration Church in Georgetown, Texas to hear Tebow discuss his faith.

Full Story >>

If you closely watch the replay of the brawl between the Indianapolis Pacers and the Golden State Warriors, you'll see that the first person to come to Roy Hibbert's side is Lance Stephenson.

So after the dust settled and the fines were levied, Hibbert wanted to show Stephenson how appreciative he was. That's why Hibbert has said he'll cover Stephenson's $35,000 fine.

The 7-footer told the Indianapolis Star that he plans on paying Stephenson's fine because Stephenson was a good teammate and had his back.

Hibbert is making about $13 million more than Stephenson this year, so that also might have factored into his decision.

Perhaps more damming for Hibbert than the money lost is the fact that his mother was upset with him, something he admitted to reporters after the scuffle. Luckily for Hibbert his parents don't control his finances, and unlike Warriors forward Klay Thompson he won't be levied with an additional "parental" fine.

Full Story >>

According to a former landlady, star pitcher Tim Lincecum tore through his San Francisco townhouse just like he tore through opposing batters toward the end of the 2010 season.

Lincecum, the two-time Cy Young Award winner who led the National League in strikeouts in 2010, is being accused by his former landlady of causing at least $200,000 to his Mission District townhouse.

The landlady, Mindy Freile, sued Lincecum in October 2011, saying he damaged "bedding, doors, carpet, pillows, kitchenware, linens, furniture, household appliances, art work, decorations, patio furniture, lights, lamps and mirrors, among other things" around the time his lease expired in February of 2011. Just a few months earlier, the Giants won their first World Series in San Francisco.

Lincecum wanted to submit the case for confidential arbitration, arguing that a provision in his lease allows for it, but a San Francisco court says California law does not permit that. So now the case has become public, and depending on what details emerge, it could turn out embarrassing for Lincecum.

"We anticipate that the case will now be litigated in the trial court," Lincecum's lawyer, Peter Bransten, told SFGate, "and Mr. Lincecum will vigorously contest the allegations."

As Bob Egelko of SFGate points out, Lincecum could easily settle the dispute out of court. The hurler will make $22 million this year, and so $200,000 is about three days' salary.

Full Story >>

Either Hunter Pence's brother, Howie, is genuinely interested in improving Hunter's play, or he really needed a pingpong partner this offseason.

Whatever the case was, Howie convinced Hunter that the more pingpong Hunter has played in the offseason, the better his regular seasons have been. And Hunter, who looks up to Howie so much that he's called his older brother his "hero," took Howie's word for it.

And so during the offseason, Pence and his buddies turned into table tennis junkies.

"Sounds crazy, right?" Pence told Andrew Baggarly of CSN Bay Area. "It works your fast-twitch muscles. You react. I just got a bunch of different friends and we didn’t play games. It was just rallies, as hard and as long as we could."

Really, it was a win-win situation for Pence and his crew. If playing the game actually helps, Pence could be in for his third All-Star season this year. If not, it's an incredibly fun game and a relaxing way to spend the offseason.

"It might be a coincidence,” Pence said, "but it was worth a try."

Full Story >>

Safe to say it was a banner weekend for Ronda Rousey.

The 26-year-old fighter beat Liz Carmouche on a first-round armbar submission, giving her the victory in the first women's fight in UFC history. The bout proved to be an enormous financial success for the UFC.

And now radio host Dave Meltzer of “The Wrestling Observer” is reporting that Rousey has received an offer to act in a future installment of the smash-hit Hunger Games series. It is unclear which movie Rousey would be in, but seeing as the sequel to The Hunger Games is set for release on Nov. 23, it might be too late for Rousey to join that film. The third installment, Mockingjay, is split into two films to be released in 2014 and 2015.

The series is headlined by Academy Award-winning actress Jennifer Lawrence.

"There is a lot of interest in Ronda for movies," a source told the New York Post. "But she just won the biggest fight of her career and she's been focused on that."

Rousey would not be the first female fighter to take her talents from the ring to the big screen. Gina Carano, a former MMA fighter, has appeared in several popular films, including Haywire and Fast and Furious 6.

A deal is far from done, and Rousey told the Post that she's got business to accomplish before she takes on another pursuit.

"I'm a fighter first," Rousey said on Feb. 14. "I came straight [to this interview] from sparring, not from getting my eye brows done. Once I feel like my fighting career is done, then maybe I’ll go into something else."

Full Story >>

Just weeks after pulling in the top recruiting class of 2013, Nick Saban has his eyes on the future.

The coach of the Alabama Crimson Tide, who have won three of the last four BCS National Championships, has reportedly made a scholarship offer to eighth-grader Dylan Moses. The 6-foot-1, 215-pound Moses hails from Baton Rouge, and he is expected to be one of the top players in the class of 2017. Last year he got an offer from LSU.

Moses' father, Edward, told Matt Scalici of AL.com that he and his son were surprised to be invited to Alabama's Junior Day a few weeks ago. There, they toured the facilities and Moses said his son was treated like a five-star recruit. They even sat down with Saban himself.

"We met with Coach Saban after lunch and he talked to Dylan about his future and what he needed to do to achieve his potential as a student and as a football player," Edward Moses said. "When he said he was offering Dylan a scholarship, we asked a lot of questions just to make sure we knew exactly what he meant. Coach Saban said the Alabama staff believes Dylan has a chance to be the best player in the country in the Class of 2017 and they were ready to offer him a scholarship. That's when the fireworks started going off in our heads."

Edward Moses said he thinks the Alabama coaching staff caught wind of his son after watching his eight-grade highlight video. Dylan played linebacker and running back for his team, and as you can see below, he was pretty much unstoppable.

So this fall Dylan may be the first player to enter high school with offers from Alabama and LSU. And Edward Moses thinks it might be beneficial that his son has entered the recruiting fray earlier than other prospects.

"We aren't putting any pressure on him with the recruiting process right now," Edward Moses said. "I think the fact that this is happening so early for him is helping him mature a little quicker than most 14 year-olds would and I think that's probably a good thing for him. Right now, all Dylan really knows is that LSU and Alabama are his favorites and he's going to spend the next few years focusing on becoming the best player he can be. I don't think he feels any need to rush his decision."

This text will be replaced

Full Story >>

Jim Lindenmayer thought he was doing the right thing when he bailed Indian Hills Community College (IHCC) sophomore Ronald Ross out of jail after a post-game brawl several weeks ago. After all, Lindenmayer (right) is the president of IHCC, and he didn't want to simply leave Ross at a faraway jail.

But as it turns out, Lindenmayer's seemingly harmless act has had dire consequences for the IHCC basketball team.

The club, which finished the season 26-4 and ranked third in the country among NJCAA Division I teams, has been banned from the postseason. Lindenmayer violated an NJCAA rule that prohibits a school official from posting bond for a player.

After IHCC's double-overtime victory over rival Southeastern Community College on Feb. 16, a scuffle broke out between the two teams. Ross, IHCC's second-leading scorer, was arrested and charged with assaulting the son of Southeastern head coach Terry Carroll. Lindenmayer bailed Ross out of jail later that night, and he explained his reasoning in a statement released by the school.

"Late Saturday after everyone was on their way home, I bailed a student-athlete out of jail. I was unaware of the rule, but I knew that I did not want to leave a player behind at an out of town facility under those circumstances,” Lindenmeyer said. "I feel strongly that when we leave our campus with students in our care it is our duty to return them safely to campus. This is what I would expect of any staff member and what I would expect as a parent of a child under college supervision."

After discovering that he violated a rule, Lindenmeyer self-reported the incident. That wasn't enough for the NJCAA, which placed IHCC on probation and effectively ended its promising season. The school's appeal of the ban was rejected.

This seems like another silly instance of a collegiate governing body unwilling to bend rules depending on the circumstance. Lindenmeyer was acting in the best interest of a student and his actions did not harm anyone, but none of that mattered to the NJCAA.

This text will be replaced

(H/T to Deadspin)

Full Story >>

Tags:
NCAAB

Things just went from bad to worse for Oakland Raiders defensive tackle Desmond Bryant.

The fourth-year player out of Harvard was arrested in Miami over the weekend on a charge of criminal mischief. While inebriated, Bryant allegedly went into a neighbor's house and caused a commotion.

As if that wasn't embarrassing enough, Bryant's mugshot emerged on Monday, and it's a doozy. Looks like he had a rough night, to say the least.

Sadly, this isn't the first embarrassing arrest photo that the Oakland organization has had to deal with. When linebacker Rolando McClain was booked a few years ago, he produced this bizarre image.

Bryant, who started eight games and had three sacks for the Raiders in 2012, will become an unrestricted free agent on March 12.

Full Story >>

Thanks to Adidas, the prospect who posts the fastest 40-yard dash time at the NFL Combine will earn more than just pride.

Darren Rovell of ESPN reported that the company will sign the Combine's fastest runner to a shoe deal. Adidas has been advertising its promotion throughout Indianapolis, where the Combine is taking place.

Thus far, former Texas wide receiver Marquise Goodwin is set for the payday after posting a blazing time of 4.27 seconds in the drill. That's the second fastest time ever, only .03 seconds behind what Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson ran in 2008.

Interestingly, there appears to be a chance that whoever gets the top billing will play for the Oakland Raiders at some point in his career. As Rovell notes, the player who posted the top time in four of the past six Combines has played for the Raiders. Oakland drafted DeMarcus Van Dyke (2011), Jacoby Ford (2010) and Darrius Heyward-Bey (2009) and signed Yamon Figurs (2007) in 2010.

A company spokesperson told Rovell that Adidas hasn't decided on the size of the offer to the top speedster from this year's Combine.

Last year Robert Griffin III posted a time of 4.41 seconds, the fastest by a quarterback. He signed with

Adidas, making him the company's most prominent NFL player. Adidas also has deals with Broncos linebacker Von Miller, Dolphins running back Reggie Bush and Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill. But because the NFL does not have a marketing deal with Adidas, these players are not allowed to wear Adidas gear during games.

Last year's top pick, Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck, signed with Nike. Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton, the top choice in the 2011 NFL Draft, signed with Under Armour.

Adidas gave Bush a contract for $1 million a year in 2006 when he was entering the NFL. That was a record for an NFL rookie. There haven't been precise figures cited, but published reports state that Griffin's deal with Adidas and Newton's deal with Under Armour have been higher.

If Goodwin maintains the top spot and accepts the offer from Adidas, he will be changing brands. Texas is a Nike school, and Goodwin also wore Nike at the London Olympics where he placed 10th in the long jump. Throw in the fact that the Combine is sponsored by Under Armour, and you get a sense of how competitive this industry is, and why it makes sense for Adidas to make some noise with this offer.

Full Story >>

A few North Dakota high schoolers are in hot water after a photo surfaced of them wearing Klu Klux Klan-style hoods at a recent playoff hockey game.

The incident took place at the state tournament semifinal game between Davies High School and Red River High School. Red River fans had organized a "white out" for the game, and many students came wearing white.

Red River principal Kristopher Arason said the three students in question put the masks on after Red River scored its first goal, and kept them on for 30 seconds to one minute. During that time, 19-year-old Shane Schuster snapped a photo that has circulated around the Internet.

"After confirming the incident, we notified the administrators at Red River High School, who immediately began their investigation," Mark Rerick, Grand Forks Public Schools athletic director, said in a statement. "To the best of my knowledge, the students have been identified by the Red River administrators, who are continuing their investigation."

This text will be replaced

Full Story >>

Tags:
Hockey